Selling your house can be a rewarding experience or a stressful experience. So why not make it easier on yourself and implement these things before you sell. We’ve put together a list to keep in mind when selling your home.
- Begin packing – Once you know you are moving, you can begin packing. It’s a good way to de-clutter your rooms by packing away items you won’t need before you move. If you have excess furniture, toys, decorations, and other items, store them away.
- Make a good first impression – Buyers want to see a freshly painted front door and a front yard clear of clutter. Be sure to mow the lawn, trim the hedges, and add some color with carefully placed annuals and perennials. In short, make the first impression the best that it can be.
- Clean the house – everywhere. You don’t want potential buyers walking into a house that needs floors swept and carpets vacuumed. Pay special attention to the kitchen and bathrooms as buyers tend to scrutinize those rooms most. Make sure each room is neat, have the kids put their toys away, and paint walls, if necessary. If you need to – hire a professional cleaning service.
- Hide unnecessary items – Store your dirty laundry and used kitchen sponges out of sight. Move litter boxes and pet dishes and pick up children’s toys.
- Make small repairs – Every house has little items that are broken or outdated. That includes water faucets, door handles, towel bars, curtain rods, and cabinet knobs. Fixing those small hardware items go a long way with potential home buyers.
- Frame windows – The right window treatments can affect a room’s temperature and lighting. This will make a huge difference when showing off your home.
- Update your lighting – Replace outdated light fixtures and use ambient, low-key lighting for bedrooms and directional lighting for reading nooks and areas you want to highlight, such as a corner in your foyer with a beautiful plant. Accent lighting works great for prized art and décor you want to draw attention to.
- Paint – Nothing fancy. Just give a fresh coat of paint to walls and doors. If you have unconventional paint jobs, cover over them with white, beige or gray. Keep it neutral and natural-looking. And don’t forget to paint the trim.
- Set the dining room table – It’s a small thing, but decorative flowers and place settings at the table give your dining room a pleasant feel and make a good impression on potential home buyers. Make your dining room formal and your kitchen casual. Staging helps sells houses.
Once your house sells and you’re ready to move to your new home – call and let us handle the process for you. Our professional team of employees will treat your belongings and homes like they’re our own. We’ve been helping people move for 15 years and would be happy to answer any of your moving questions.